Last week we got to spend a few weeks in Lake Powell. It was blissful.


Basically it's just a week to play, sleep, and eat. What could be better? The only downside was that we got rained on a bit. August 5-6 was deemed the night of 100 one-minute naps by my dad. We were all sleeping on top of the houseboat and it started sprinkling so we would make tents out of our blankets and then fall back asleep. Then the tent would fall down and we would get rained on again. At 3am we had had enough so we went inside along with everyone else. There's not a lot of sleeping room inside the houseboat so people had to get creative. My dad slept on the ottoman. Grace and Scott slept on the table (it was folded down into a bed). My poor mom slept curled up in a ball on the floor. Hence the 100 one-minute nap title. My favorite part about Lake Powell is always just being with the people that I love. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by incredible people. Lake Powell is no exception.
I know that the above picture isn't very flattering but it makes me laugh. You shouldn't have to wear sweatshirts in August in Arizona. But it was freezing cold when we were driving back to the marina from our beach. I hope my mom doesn't get too upset that I posted this picture...
______________________
There's a talk by Elder Wirthlin called "Come What May and Love It." This talk has been one of my favorites because it talks about the importance of laughing when things don't go quite the way you plan. This talk comes to mind without fail anytime I do something to embarrass myself. So I'm going to share my embarrassing moment from yesterday in an effort to make someone laugh.
I love riding my bike. I have always loved bike riding. As a young girl I would go on rides with my friends and explore the little town of Elk Ridge, Utah. Sometimes my dad would let us ride our bikes to school and he would follow us in his truck.
Since I moved away from home and since I started driving my bike riding has been pretty minimal. I did have a biking area on my mission though... riding bikes in skirts is always an adventure.
I relearned this simple truth yesterday when riding my bike home from work in my dress. Justin needed the car so we picked up a bike from his parent's house. The seat was a little too high but I figured that Justin would probably use it more than I would. While riding down Freedom Boulevard after my shift I was trying to get back up on the sidewalk and my front tire caught the edge and I took a face plant right into the asphalt in front of Jiffy Lube. I hoped and hoped that no one saw me. No one came to my rescue so I think I'm safe to say that no one else saw. I jumped up as fast as I could and kept riding, very slowly might I add, home. I could feel my face, hands, chest, and knees burning but just kept driving. When I got home I looked in the mirror and saw this:
Black dirt on my face, clothes, and knees. Luckily I wasn't bleeding at all. Just a little sore and bruised. I really just had to laugh when I saw myself. I guess that bike riding isn't as natural as it used to be...
Black dirt on my face, clothes, and knees. Luckily I wasn't bleeding at all. Just a little sore and bruised. I really just had to laugh when I saw myself. I guess that bike riding isn't as natural as it used to be...


No comments:
Post a Comment